How to drink Absinthe appropriately is the issue a lot of people have if they have managed to acquire a bottle of the Green Fairy. In La Belle Epoque in France every person knew how to serve and drink Absinthe, it was part of the
way of life and was even more widespread compared to wine.
The ability of how to drink Absinthe was lost until recent years due to the ban on Absinthe in many countries for a lot of decades. In the United States it had been prohibited in 1912 and Absinthes such as the “Lucid” brand only have just gone available for sale in the US in 2007.
How To Drink Absinthe Utilizing the Conventional “Ritual”
This is the classic technique of preparing Absinthe employed in pre ban times in the nineteenth century in France and Switzerland. There’s an art to working with this approach and it is based on utilizing a steady hand.
– Pour a shot of Absinthe straight into an Absinthe glass or big glass.
– Rest a slotted Absinthe spoon above the top of the glass and put a cube of sugar about the spoon.
– Slowly drip iced water over the sugar in order that the sugar dissolves and drips throughout the slots in to the Absinthe. Either use an Absinthe fountain or dripper to control the dripping or make use of a very steady hand to pour the water from a carafe.
– Observe the Absinthe louche (become cloudy) as the water mixes to the alcohol.
– Take pleasure in your Absinthe.
How To Drink Absinthe Utilizing the Modern Bohemian or Czech Technique
This is a more sophisticated method which is a bit of fun and it is scorned by many Absinthe drinkers. It is often combined with cheaper Czech Absinthes and Absinthes that have a lower alcohol content. Care should be taken when setting alcohol alight.
– Pour a shot of Absinthe straight into an Absinthe glass.
– Soak the sugar cube inside the Absinthe and then put on an Absinthe spoon sitting on the rim of the glass.
– Utilizing a lighter or match, set the sugar on fire and watch it as it caramelizes , melts and drips in the Absinthe, it may set the Absinthe on fire too.
– Slowly pour iced water in the Absinthe to put out the flames and also to make the Absinthe louche.
– Consume your Absinthe.
Proportions of water to Absinthe rely on taste but a ratio of between 3:1 and 5:1 water to Absinthe is the suggested dilution.
How To Drink Absinthe in Cocktails
Ernest Hemingway famously created “Death in the Afternoon” – a cocktail of Absinthe and champagne, but there are numerous other cocktail recipes for Absinthe. You do need to remember that Absinthe is a very strong Alcoholic drink and is roughly twice the potency of other spirits like vodka and whisky.
Absinthe and Vodka – Mix 3 parts Absinthe with one part high quality vodka within an iced glass (out of the freezer) and garnish with a sprig of mint.
Absinthe Explosion – Mix 3 parts Tequila, 4 parts vodka, 3 parts whisky and 7 parts Absinthe. Put ice and after that stir.
Absinthe Bloody Mary – Put 1 shot of Absinthe in to a cocktail glass with ice and top up with tomato juice. Put in a dash of Worcestershire sauce and Tabasco sauce and season with salt and pepper.
There are lots of various ways of how to drink Absinthe and you can even invent your own personal cocktails.